NASBM and the Professional Standards Framework
NASBM are currently consulting on their Professional Standards Framework: this could be transformational for school business managers. Optimus content lead, Alex Masters reports.
We have heard some depressing stories over recent months: SBMs have told us how they often feel disrespected and ostracised; many colleagues (sometimes including heads) don’t even understand their role. This needs to change. If we already have these frameworks in place for other staff members, why not for SBMs?
The National Association of School Business Managers (NASBM) wants your feedback on their Professional Standards Framework and have just opened consultation for the Marketing and HR sections.
Note: this round of consultation closes on Friday 28 August at 5pm.
Both NASBM and Optimus Education feel strongly that developing a professional standards framework for SBMs is a major priority.
The aim is to develop a strategy which ‘positively promotes the school or Trust’, defines goals and maximises income generation. This is critical.
To give some more detail, NASBM’s framework is intended to:
- set out core and specialist areas
- help SBMs to perform their role as expertly as possible
- set out the content of initial and continuing professional development
- provide a framework for future development of qualifications and other professional recognition.
NASBM hopes the standards will be used by heads and governors to ‘inform and underpin the recruitment and performance management’ of SBMs. This could lead to a sea change for SBMs.
After two rounds of consultation and hours of input from practitioners, stakeholders, and the NASBM project team, current thinking is shaped around the following framework model:
- core activities: leading support services, strategy, governance and efficiency
- functional areas: finance, procurement, infrastructure, human resources, marketing and policy
- behavioural characteristics: resilient, decision maker, collaborative, challenger, skilled negotiator, change catalyst.
Please don’t miss this opportunity to play a part in developing professional standards for SBMs.
- School leadership: time to recognise the role of SBMs
- CPD for SBMs: going beyond core skills
- SBMs: qualifications to progress your careers
- What to do if a complaint is made against you
- Webinar: marketing your school
- SBMs: top ten tips for SLT survival
Having trouble accessing the resources above? Why not find out how Optimus supports schools with their CPD provision and request a demo of In-House Training and Knowledge Centre or take a free trial.