David Laws on workload, Ofsted and CPD
Lib Dem MP David Laws gave a revealing interview with TES this week. Here we have selected the top ten quotes from the Minister of State for Schools with some relevant links to articles from Optimus Education.
- Teachers still work long hours outside the classroom compared with teachers in other countries.
- Teachers shouldn't have to spend so much time away from their families.
- We have [already] streamlined the inspection process, cut out bureaucracy and consciously devolved power to schools and given them powers over policies such as the pupil premium.
- Schools with the largest number of disadvantaged pupils have been able to keep class sizes down with the support of pupil premium.
- We strongly support the work that Ofsted does, but we must help to address some of the misconceptions about what Ofsted want to see.
- We need to make sure the targeting of inspections is proportional to the challenges in schools.
- We must avoid the burdens sometimes placed on teachers by headteachers who may sometimes think they have to follow whatever methods have been praised by Ofsted in other schools.
- We [plan to] make sure in the future teaching is a high-status profession with quality CPD and the College of Teaching.
- We [plan to] ensure teachers' pay is competitive and reward those who choose to teach in the most challenging schools.
- We need to make sure we listen to feedback from teachers and come back with concrete proposals.